Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Egypt VBS Decor - Marketplace

I thought I would share how we decorated our marketplace and "family homes" for Egypt VBS in 2010 and in 2016.  We did not do all the marketplace crafts--I'm just including the official crafts for now (we did several alternatives as well...and I'm going to do separate posts for these). 

The Scribe Shop (Hieroglyphics)



Reed mats just add something to table decor.  I've seen unlined bamboo mats like these for $1 at the Dollar Store or Walmart.  Party stores may have these too.

The Food Market





The food itself is most of the decor for this shop.
A few modern bowls don't detract too much if 
combined with some baskets. 
 


Brickmaking Shop

This was my shop during the marketplace.  I have more pictures and marketplace tips for brickmaking here.


The Basketry Shop


Click on either of the pictures above to 
see them larger.

In 2016 we tried out a Basketry shop.  This would be the 6th time we had done a Holy Land themed VBS, and so we had collected a lot of baskets (and I believe the shop keeper brought some from home too).  So, we were able to make a pretty spectacular basket display around the edges of our basket making shop.

In the back, the stone is just part of our church.  We used a cheap bamboo fence we got several years back at a party story to cover the window.  Sheets we collected from hotels for costumes when we did Rome covered the sides.  It really set a wonderful atmosphere.  


Animal Market


Our Animal market took NO decoration.  The lovely people who brought the animals from a local farm just let them graze freely in our church's grassy yard.  The kids ran around with baby goats (kids playing with kids...and both seeming to have a blast).  It was vastly different from having them in a cage for kids to visit.    There were some chickens in a cage...and the donkey was supervised more for the kids safety, but in general it was more natural than your typical petting zoo.  Both the animals and kids seemed more relaxed.  We did NOT have this during our regular marketplace, but replaced one day's games with "visiting herders."   We brought the kids in small groups so as to better supervise . 

Other Shops
We did several other alternative shops as well (not from Group's material) .  I'll be blogging about these at some point.










2 comments:

  1. what an awesome VBS idea! Oh and thanks for your comment on my cultural appropriation blog post! I actually hadn't thought about using crosses as cultural appropriation, but now that I thnk about it, yes, christian sybols are everywhere used frivolously and no one cares. But when Selena Gomez used indian culture, where the clothes is religious based, people went crazy. so interesting and not really fairly applied!

    I hope you can stop by my blog again soon. :)

    God bless,
    Christine
    Ethical Fashion + Faith
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and responding to my comment! :-) I definitely will be stopping by your blog again.

      Delete